These took me 30 minutes to make. I kid you not!
You’ve been treated to my fan-girling over the site A Beautiful Mess in the last couple of months, and this latest D.I.Y. is my favorite so far!
You will need:
Oven (Preheat to 275 (130) degrees)
Oven baked clay: White + three other colors
Paring or Exacto knife
Oven safe bowls
Gold acrylic paint
1) Roll out two white snakes and three smaller snakes of contrasting colors to about 5 inches each.
2) Twist the snakes together to form a candy cane like design.
3) Roll out to about 10 inches then fold the snake into itself and roll again.
4) Fold the snake into a ball and roll out to about 1/4 inch thick.
5) Use a round bowl to cut out the clay into a circle.
6) Place the cut out clay into an oven safe bowl to help it hold it’s shape while baking.
7) Small balls of tin foil tucked between the clay and sides of the bowl helped hold the ruffled shape. (sorry not pictured)
Make very sure your bowl is oven safe -it will say on the bottom- if not don’t risk it.
8) Place on a baking sheet then in the oven to bake for 15 minutes.
9) Cool for about 10 minutes before un-molding.
10) Paint around the rim of the dish to finish it off.
(I just used my finger to pat on the paint as it was better for the uneven surface.)
Behold! So pretty!
One of these will find a home on my desk. I’m always taking off my earrings setting them down or scooping them into my desk drawer.
One for the bed side table, vanity, kitchen sink and, everywhere else I leave my jewelry.